Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Extra" Ordinary Day

We got the best surprise the other day. I was feeding Emmett breakfast and thinking of my "To Do" list which included cleaning the house and doing a few loads of laundry. Let's just say I wasn't too excited about the list. Then all of a sudden Nate walks in the door. Well more like he pranced through the door and said, "Let's go to West Yellowstone today! Hurry and get ready and let's get on our way." So that's exactly what I did. It was an awesome surprise. He just decided to take the day off after he donated plasma. (Well I don't know all the details since he wouldn't divulge them to me but I'm not complaining). He also had heard on the radio that Yellowstone was opened for free for a few days so he thought we should take advantage. 

 I got ready and we had the truck and kids packed and ready to go in under an hour. Amazing. 
The boys were excited to get on our way.
When we arrived in West Yellowstone and went to the gate, it was closed. We quickly looked on our phones and Nate realized he heard the dates wrong and we were one day early. Plus half the park was closed due to the snow anyways. We tried to figure out what to do in West Yellowstone but pretty much everything was closed.

So instead we fed both babies in the truck parked in the McDonald's parking lot. And Emmett had fun playing up front with Nate.
 And this is how Nate takes a picture of sis and I. He gives us no warning so hence my lack of eye contact and Kamryn's dazed look.
After we fed the babies and let them stretch their legs for a bit, we decided to go exploring. We drove up past Hebgen Lake. It was meant to be. We had a great time exploring and on our way we almost literally ran into four big horned sheep. Crazy. I seriously didn't even know these existed. 
Then we ventured onward toward Earthquake Lake which was created about 50 years ago by a huge landslide due to an earthquake.  
The views were amazing and we enjoyed every minute of it.
The babies were so good for 7+ hours in the truck. 
We saw a lot of this...
 And a lot of this...
 But next time we will make sure to change Emmett's diaper more than once. He drank abut a half a gallon of water (what else is a guy to do stuck in a car seat?) and he pretty much peed through everything. I couldn't even close his diaper up because it was soaked so much. Whoops. But the cute little guy didn't even complain, neither did sis. We sure have come a long way in just a few months. I think Nate can agree we are loving this stage of life right now!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

way to make the best of the situation, karla! ha ha! one day early :( sheesh, with all the gov't shutdowns you should just be able to go in whenever you want! ;) and i'm quite jealous you saw 4 big horned sheep!! in real life!

markandjenny said...

Hurray for spontaneity! And I can't think of anyone I would rather be in a car for 7 hours than you! Those sheep are ridiculous!

Beth Willmore said...

SO fun!!! I just am imagining your faces though when you realized you were a day early! I would have been ticked!!

Those are the cutest little kids I've ever seen and I'm glad you still had a great day in spite of it!

Love your face!

Brady and Amber said...

How fun! That picture of Kamryn is so sweet! Family outings are the best when the babies are happy.

Mel Eppich said...

Love it! And you!