Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Resolution

I'm the type of person that loves to make New Year's Resolutions (which are often the same each and every year) and I usually do not succeed. 

Last year I thought I came up with a really good idea. I decided to read 50 books in the year 2012. I decided to choose books I had never read before. And I kept track of everything on Goodreads. (One of my favorite websites ) Sadly I did not reach my goal. I came very close though. I ended up reading 42 books. My excuse was Emmett and I will take that excuse any day. Well worth it. 

I read some pretty lame books and some that were real tear jerkers and thinkers. Some of my favorites were:

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Night
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
These is My Words
Walk Two Moons
Heaven is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy
Edenbrooke
Between Shades of Gray 
(and this is about the Holocaust not some nasty other stuff)

I always love a good book. My bad habit is to read right before bed and then I pay for it the next day because I can never put a good book down. It's the best feeling getting lost in a story.

I really thought hard about what my 2013 resolution should be. I decided the best way to succeed would be to get Nate on board with me. He actually agreed which I was very happy about. We decided together to try 52 new things in the year 2013. Every week we try something new together. Some things will be really simple and silly and some will bring us closer together and just enjoy life!  We sat down and thought of things we would really accomplish, printed them out, and put them in a jar. Every week we draw one out and are committed to doing whatever it says.


And guess what Nate decided to pick as our first adventure? That's right....to read a novel together! I couldn't believe it. We picked this book:
One of Nate's favorites when he was in High School. This will probably take us more than a week. In fact we aren't even a 1/4 of a way through it so far but I am enjoying reading together every night for a few minutes. Pure bliss for me. 

So stay tuned for our 51 adventures we have left to accomplish!

6 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

That is seriously the best idea ever! Oh and I loved the book Heaven is Here, cried my whole way through it and resolved to be a better mom and to enjoy my life!

Good job setting resolutions. This is the first year I've ever set one (the lose 50 lbs thing) and I'm scared to death that I won't accomplish it!

Mel Eppich said...

YOu are so awesome my friend! SO i must admit that reading this post brought back the memory of spending a new years eve with you in Rexburg while we were in college and you made the resolution not to eat chocolate. Just after midnight we went to Maverick and you wanted ice cream. you came walking out the door holding a chocolate covered icecream bar with one big bite out of it. With a mouthful of chocolate covered ice cream you looked at me and I saw the realization cross you face. . it was hilarious! one of the million reasons I love you!

Cindy Robinson said...

maybe you should buy some leather pants! that could be your "new thing that you do for the day!" -Chandler Bing

good luck...good idea!

Unknown said...

what is your goodreads ID?! i want to be your friend there so i can see all the other good books you've read!

also, i think E is super cute and your idea is super great! i'm seriously going to do it for me, myself & i!

Unknown said...

my ID is jillhanc on goodreads. look me up!

Amber said...

dang, I need to check out goodreads as well, it seems. I only managed 29 books last year, but felt pretty good about it w/my 3 crazy kids. I read Night just a couple weeks ago. Pretty haunting! I'll have to try Edenbrooke, I've been eyeing it in Deseret Book.