Thursday, June 27, 2013

Introducing...

Kamryn Kay
Born Tuesday 6/18/13 at 3:26am
6lbs, 7oz
20 inches long
We can't believe she is finally here! It's been quite the journey, that's for sure. She made quite the entrance into the world!

My doctor decided to induce me on Monday June 17th at 39 weeks. He said that I was probably ready and he was also leaving town and I wanted him to deliver our little baby girl. So early Monday morning Nate and I headed to the hospital at 5:00am hoping to meet our girl that day. They put me on Pitocin right away. My contractions weren't too bad and I was able to  deal with them most of the morning and into the afternoon. Progress was super slow and it took me 8 hours to dilate from a 1 to a 2. At 1:30pm the doctor broke my water and I thought I was going to die after that. My contractions were super bad and it took the anesthesiologist about and hour and a half to give me an epidural. (A few tears were probably shed but I felt so much better after the pain relief). 
We were hoping that things would go more quickly after that but we were wrong. Into the early evening my epidural wasn't quite working like I would have liked and I got another dose which worked pretty quickly. Then around midnight (still no baby), I was getting the worst contractions and the anesthesiologist wasn't able to  relieve my pain until after 3 more doses of the epidural. Let's just say those 2 hours were horrible and I was so tired and exhausted by this point in time. Also I was dilated to a 9+, but within a four hour period not doing anything else. The doctor came in again and after checking me found out that I just happened to have a narrow pubic arch. Which pretty much meant the baby might not fit. He gave us the option of doing a C-Section, but also said we could try so I wouldn't have to have a hard recovery after the C-Section. We decided to go forward with what we were doing so I could have a a better recovery and take care of our 2 babies. Unfortunately I wasn't dilated all the way and I had to try pushing anyways. Which just so happened to make me tear pretty bad. After pushing for about an hour (yeah, I am exhausted at this point since it's 22+ hours of labor), the doctor pulled out the vacuum and miraculously little Kamryn finally came! The cord just so happened to be wrapped around her little neck and it was tied in a knot! A bit traumatic. 

We were so happy she was finally here but very nervous at the same time because she was completely white and not moving. The nurses rushed her off to the NICU to get her going on oxygen and I had to stay in the room for another hour so the doctor could stitch up my 3rd degree tear. He also mentioned that my recovery would probably take 6-8 weeks because of the tear and would be a little rougher than a C-Section. Great. Little did we know that my body was just not made to have babies this way. It was a blessing I got induced early so she was still so small and actually fit. 

The next few hours were pretty much a blur. It seemed like an eternity to be able to finally see our little Kamryn. It wasn't our favorite thing going to the NICU and not being able to hold her. But she still looked perfect to us. Because the vacuum had to be used she had a pretty bad cone head and a horrible hematoma. It was so sad to see her like that. The nurses could hardly move her because it would hurt her so bad. She was breathing on her own but still couldn't regulate her temperature and eat yet. 
 Later into the day we finally got to hold her! It was a perfect dream and she was so tiny. Her bruising even had gone down quite a bit and her head was looking so much better.  
The next day she was able to be released from the NICU and be with us in our room. We know she recovered so quickly because of all the prayers and thoughts sent our way!
 Late Thursday night we were able to be released from the hospital. Her biliruben count was quite high so over the course of the next few days we had to take her into the hospital to get it checked. We also got to take home an awesome biliblanket and she became a little glow bug for 24 hours. Her jaundice has gone down and her color looks so good now. 
 She is such a great baby. So content. Except when she is hungry. She has quite the pair of lungs on her. But she actually sleeps a lot. Something Emmett never did. It's pretty weird but I do enjoy it since my recovery is going very slow .
 But I have to say the hardest part of all of this crazy adventure was not being near Emmett. It kind of broke my heart. I was a complete basket case for the first little bit at home. He was in good hands but we missed him like crazy. Thank goodness he is back at home with us now and we are a happy family of four!! 
Little E man is so funny around Kay Kay. He starts to dance when she cries really loud. At least it's music to someone's ears. He also giggles and smiles at her when she makes noises. But we have to be super careful because he wants to poke out her eyes and pull her hair most of the time. Just a little glimpse into what life is going to be like. We love it!

Oh and did I mention I have one of the greatest hubbies in the world?! He has been so wonderful to me and has pretty much done everything for me, our little babies, and the house. I am going to be so sad when he goes back to work on Monday. Love that man!

7 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

Oh I'm sorry that things were so hard Kayla! She's such a beautiful little girl and she just wanted to make you appreciate her by doing some damage on the way out! :)
I hope that you heal quickly so you can wrangle your two cuties! (Love E with his headband on by the way - wait until he gets a little bigger and you start putting him in Cinderella dress up dresses. Oh wait - maybe you're not a bad mom like me!)
I'd love to come down and have a chance to snugle Kam and to chase E around so please call me once the family help dies down a little! Love you!

Devry said...

Yay she's here!!! Congrats friend! She's so tiny and adorable, and I love her name. Sorry to hear things were kind of rough. Hope you are having a good recovery!!

Kelly Visser said...

Man you definitely had it rough! Luckily you got such a SUPER CUTE baby out of all that! You are such an amazing mama!

Unknown said...

Is life CRAZY for you yet ? :) Thanks for sharing your story. It's times like those that you really feel the power of prayer. Love you Karlar and that sweet little baby girl.

Shantel said...

I'm so sorry that her entrance was so rough!!! I'm glad she's doing well now, and hopefully you'll recover soon!!
She sure is a cutie!! So is your other little guy!! I wish I lived closer so I could see you more often!!! I miss your face friend! Thanks for the updates!!! Love ya!

Unknown said...

what a labor! geez! i'm glad everything worked out in the end. its crazy to see your two small kids. wow! you will be a busy lady, karla! congrats!

markandjenny said...

I was scared reading this and had to go super fast so I could get to the happy ending! Glad all turned out well. I just love her hair, so cute. Both your babies have given me hair envy! Please let me know if I can help in anyway! What a cute family of four!